Certificate in Adolescent Sex Education Basics
The Rutgers University Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology (GSAPP) is now partnering with Answer to offer a certificate in Adolescent Sex Education Basics. This fully online, 48-hour, non-credit certificate includes eight dynamic and highly interactive workshops and four cutting-edge virtual classroom simulations.
The Rutgers University GSAPP certificate in Adolescent Sex Education Basics includes the following workshops and virtual classroom experiences:
- Workshop: Sexual Anatomy and Response: Getting Under Your Skin
- Workshop: Puberty and Adolescent Development: Growing Pains and Gains
- Workshop: Sexuality ABCs: Abstinence, Birth Control and Condoms
- Workshop: STD Basics: Helping Students Stay Sexually Healthy
- Workshop: LGBTQ Issues in Schools: Celebrating and Supporting Diversity
- Workshop: Pregnant & Parenting Teens: Beyond the Basics
- Workshop: Relationship Skills for Teens: Dating, Mating and Deliberating
- Workshop: Personal Safety: Knowing Signs and Drawing Lines
- Virtual classroom: Personal Comfort When Teaching Sexuality Education
- Virtual classroom: Culturally Responsive Instruction When Teaching Sexuality Education
- Virtual classroom: Trauma-Informed Sex Ed
- Virtual classroom: Tailoring Lessons to Meet Age and Developmental Levels
The registration fee is $1,800 per person and group discounts are available for 10 or more participants. If you have completed any of the online workshops within the last two years, they may be applied to the certificate, and the appropriate discount will be applied.
If you have questions about the certificate in Adolescent Sex Education Basics, please see the FAQs below or contact us.
Certificate Program FAQs
- When do the workshops take place?
- When do the virtual classroom experiences take place?
- Do I need to apply to Rutgers University to register for the certificate?
- Do I receive Rutgers University credit for completing the certificate?
- Can I get any other professional development credits?
- If I completed Answer’s workshops in the past, can I still get the certificate?
- Who is the certificate program for?
- How can I arrange a group registration?
- What are the minimum system or computer requirements for participating in the certificate program?
- How do I log into the workshops?
- What if I have problems logging in?
- When and how will I get a certificate of completion?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- What if I need a break during the certificate program?
1. When do the workshops take place?
Each of the eight online workshops are asynchronous, so you can complete the work at a time that is convenient for you. Each workshop will take about six hours to complete, and you will have 30 days to complete the work. The workshop facilitator will interact with you and the other participants through discussion boards and provide individual feedback on your assignments.
The certificate program requires the completion of four half-hour, skill-based virtual classroom experiences. We are proud to partner with Advocates for Youth to provide this cutting-edge technology that integrates artificial intelligence with distance learning. These experiences are offered by appointment only since you will be interacting with real-time avatars and a live coach. Participants will be given a range of dates and times to register for their time slot. Click here to learn more about the virtual classroom experience.
3. Do I need to apply to Rutgers University to register for the certificate program?
No. You do not have to been enrolled at Rutgers University to register for this non-credit certificate offering. To register, start by completing this Google Form and follow the proper link to complete the payment for your registration. Once we have received your registration information and payment, you will receive an email with your start date and additional information about the certificate program. Please allow up to five business days to receive this information.
4. Do I receive Rutgers University college credit for completing a webinar?
No. This is a non-credit certificate offering. At the end of the program, you will receive a certificate from the Rutgers University Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology reflecting 48 professional development hours. Answer can provide professional development credit hours and Category I Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credits as well.
5. Can I get any other professional development credits?
Besides the certificate of completion, Answer offers 48 hours of Category I Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credits upon completion of the certificate at no extra charge. Please be sure to include your CHES ID number at the time of your registration to receive credit. Participants who have received CHES credits for workshops in the past are not eligible to receive CHES credits for the same workshop(s) through the certificate program.
6. If I completed Answer’s workshops in the past, can I still get the certificate?
Anyone who has completed any or all of the required workshops within two years of their enrollment date can apply those workshops toward the certificate. If you have completed all the workshops, you will still need to complete the virtual classroom experiences. If you have completed some of the workshops, you will need to complete the remaining workshops and the virtual classroom experiences. Participants who have received CHES credits for workshops in the past are not eligible to receive CHES credits for the same workshop(s) through the certificate program.
7. Who is the certificate program for?
The certificate program is for middle school and high school teachers who are newer to working with youth on the topic of sex education, and experienced educators who would like a refresher on this content. Each workshop is focused on a different topic that aligns with the National Sex Education Standards, Second Edition and the Professional Learning Standards for Sex Education.
8. How can I arrange a group registration?
To register groups of 10 or more, please contact us via email or call us at 848-445-7929.
9. What are the minimum system or computer requirements for participating in a webinar?
For best performance, Canvas should be used on the current or first previous major release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. Because it's built using web standards, Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or any other device with a modern web browser.
Canvas only requires an operating system that can run the latest compatible web browsers. Your computer operating system should be kept up to date with the latest recommended security updates and upgrades.
For the virtual classroom experience, participants will need a computer that has both a camera and a microphone. The virtual PD experience is completed on the Zoom video conferencing platform, but participants do not need to have a Zoom account.
10. How do I log into the workshops?
On your assigned start date, you will receive an email with directions for logging into the first workshop. Please check your junk- or spam-mail folder first, then contact us via e-mail or call us at 848-445-7929 if you haven't received a confirmation.
11. What if I have problems logging in?
If you have problems logging in, or technical issues at any time during the certificate program, you can contact the Rutgers University Canvas help desk. The contact information will be provided once you are registered for the program.
12. When and how will I get a certificate of completion?
A certificate of completion from the Rutgers University Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology will be emailed in PDF format one to two weeks after successful completion of all the requirements.
13. What is the cancellation policy?
To cancel your registration, contact us no later than one week prior to the start date for a full refund. Refunds will take approximately four weeks to process. Refunds will not be given for cancellations made less than one week from the start date or once you have started the program.
14. What if I need a break during the certificate program?
We know life happens and unexpected circumstances may come up while we’re enrolled in the certificate program. If a situation should arise where you need to pause your work, simply contact the instructor of your current workshop to make arrangements.