Frequently Asked Questions about Open-Enrollment Workshops
- What is the workshop fee and what is included?
- How do I register and pay for workshops?
- How do I confirm that my school district/agency has registered me?
- Where do I find driving and parking instructions?
- Will I receive professional development credits for attending a workshop?
- Are there discounts or scholarships available?
- Will I get a refund if I have to cancel?
- If I arrive late to a workshop, will I still be admitted?
- If it's the day before a workshop and I am not registered, can I still attend?
- Bad weather is predicted. Will the workshop be cancelled?
- What happens if a training is cancelled?
- I have a prior commitment and need to leave a workshop early. Is this okay and who should I tell?
- I want to receive notice about future trainings. How can I make sure I am on the appropriate mailing and e-mail lists?
- I attended one of your open-enrollment workshops and would like to bring it to my school. How do I do that?
If you have a question that is not addressed here, e-mail it to Todd Slawsky, M.Ed., training coordinator or call 732-445-7929 x237.
1. What is the workshop registration fee and what is included?
An open-enrollment workshop generally costs $100 per person and includes workshop materials, coffee and a sandwich lunch.
Occasionally, certain workshops may be discounted due to support from a donor or foundation. At times have scholarships available. If you are interested in receiving notification of scholarship availability click here to join our training update list.
2. How do I register and pay for workshops?
When you have found the workshop(s) you are interested in attending, it's easiest to register online by clicking here and selecting the date and location. You can also register via mail, phone or fax by printing out the registration form. If your school district is going to register you, we highly recommend that you check in with us to ensure that your registration was processed completely. You can send all completed registration forms to:
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
41 Gordon Road, Suite C
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Phone: 732-445-7929 (Ask for Todd or Janine)
Fax: 732-445-5333 (Attn: Todd)
If your school district is going to register you, we highly recommend that you check in with us to ensure that your registration was processed completely.
3. How do I confirm that my school district/agency has registered me?
Many schools require that their employees reigter through their administration or purchasing department. Once your registration is processed, you will receive an e-mail from us that confirms your registration. If you have not received your confirmation it means that we either did not receive your registration, or that incorrect contact information for you was provided.
Please note: Submitting your workshop registration form to your district does not mean that you have been registered for the workshop. You or your district must notify us to complete your registration.
If your school district plans to register you, we highly recommend that you check with us to ensure that your registration was processed completely. If you are not registered we cannot accommodate you during the workshop.
4. Where do I find driving and parking information?
Driving directions and parking instructions will be sent to you approximately seven days prior to the workshop via mail, e-mail and fax. If you do not receive driving directions and parking instructions please call us at 732-445-7929 so we can resend them. You can also download directions by clicking here.
Please note: Please pay attention to your workshop room and building assignment. It will be indicated on the driving and parking instructions that you receive. This is important, since at certain training locations, like universities, a previous workshop might have been held in a different room or building.
5. Will I receive professional development credits for attending a workshop?
At the conclusion of a workshop all attendees will receive a professional development certificate that outlines the number of professional development hours they have completed. In addition, we also offer Certified Health Education Sepcialist (CHES) category I credits and social work certificates for New Jersey social workers. In order to receive CHES credits or a social work certificate please bring your member number, or social work identification number with you to the workshop.
For all other professionals, please check with your district, organization or accreditation body to see if our workshop will count towards your professional development requirements.
6. Are there discounts or scholarships available?
We currently offer two discounts:
1. Frequent Attendee Discount - $10 discount per workshop for a single attendee who registers for more than one workshop.
2. Group Discount - $10 discount per attendee for groups who register more than one person for a single workshop.
We occasionally offer scholarships for our trainings thanks to generous funders and donors. If you are interested in receiving notification when scholarships become available, click here to join Answer's training update list.
7. Will I get a refund if I have to cancel?
All cancellations must be received one week prior to the workshop date in order to receive a full refund. Refunds will take approximately four weeks to process. No refund will be given for someone who is excessively late and therefore not admitted to a workshop.
8. If I arrive late to a workshop, will I still be admitted?
Workshops all start at the designated time. If you arrive more than 45 minutes after the workshops scheduled start time, we will not admit you. If you are not admitted we will not be able to offer you a refund unless there are extenuating circumstances.
9. If it's the day before a workshop and I'm not registered, can I still attend?
As long as there are space and materials available we will try to accommodate you. However, you should call us as soon as you get approval from your school district or organization to attend, since our workshops tend to fill up. You will also be required to make payment the day of the workshop if you are not registered, without exception.
10. Bad weather is predicted. Will the workshop be cancelled?
At times, the workshop will be cancelled due to inclement weather. The decision to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather will be made by 5 p.m. the day before the workshop. All registrants will be notified of a workshop cancellation via phone and e-mail. Also, an announcement will be placed on the front page of our Web site (http://answer.rutgers.edu). Participants can also call 732-445-7929, ext. 237, to access pre-recorded information about workshop cancellations.
11. What happens if a workshop is cancelled?
All registrants will be notified if a workshop is cancelled. They will be given the option to register for another workshop, or if they already paid, they can receive a reimbursement. Reimbursements may take up to four weeks to process. In lieu of a reimbursement we can also offer a full credit toward another workshop of equal value.
12. I have a prior commitment and need to leave a workshop early. Is this okay and who should I tell?
We understand that professionals are busy and may have after-school, or after-work commitments. However, it is the expectation that you will be able to attend the entire workshop if you decide to register. If you need to leave the workshop early let an Answer staff member, or the trainer know as soon as you arrive. An adjusted professional development certificate reflecting the time you attended will be e-mailed to you after the training.
13. I want to receive notice about future trainings. How can I make sure I'm on the appropriate mailing and e-mail lists?
We host several different e-mail lists, in addition to a mailing list, to keep you updated on professional development opportunities. If you dwould like to receive our annual training catalog in the mail or e-mail updates, click here. (We will never sell or give away your personal information.)
14. I attended one of your open-enrollment workshops and would like to bring it to my school. How do I do that?
We host many workshops for organizations and schools every year. We can develop a training workshop specifically for your staff of school-based educators, counselors, parents, nurses and youth-serving professionals. For more information about these workshops, click here.