Frequently Asked Questions about
Answer’s Online Workshops
- Do the workshops start or stop at a particular date or time? Do I have to be online at a specific date or time to participate?
- Do I receive Rutgers University credit for taking an online workshop?
- Who are the online workshops for? I teach middle school. Are the workshops for my grade levels?
- How will I receive my certificate? Can I get CHES credits?
- How much time will an online workshop take to complete? Do I have to complete a workshop all at once?
- Can my entire department take an online workshop on an in-service day instead of having a speaker come to our school?
- How do I register?
- I’ve never taken an online workshop before. What should I expect?
- What if I need more than 30 days to complete an online workshop?
- When is the next workshop going to be available?
- How much does it cost?
If you have a question that is not addressed here, e-mail it to Nora Gelperin, M.Ed., director of training and education.
1. Do the workshops start or stop at a particular date or time? Do I have to be online at a specific date or time to participate?
No, the workshops do not start or stop on a particular date or time, and there is no specific time or day that you need to be available to participate. That’s what makes the workshops so convenient! Our online sexuality workshops are asynchronous, which means that you can log in and participate any day of the week and any time of the day, whatever is most convenient for you. You decide, based on your personal schedule, what schedule works best for you. You just have to complete the equivalent of six hours of workshop content over the 30 days you have to complete it.
2. Do I receive Rutgers University credit for taking an online workshop?
Currently, the workshops are able to award professional development credit hours and Category I Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credits only. Even though the workshops are offered through Answer, which is part of Rutgers University, they are not credit-bearing, because they are each only six hours in duration and not a semester-length college course. Think of it as the equivalent of attending a day-long workshop, but completely online.
3. Who are the online workshops for? I teach middle school. Are the workshops for my grade levels?
Our online sexuality workshops are primarily for professionals who work with middle- or high-school-age teens in schools or community-based organizations. The focus is on the fundamentals of teen sexual behavior, pregnancy prevention and contraceptive use and STDs. Other professionals and parents with teens might find our workshops helpful, but they are geared toward professionals who teach teens.
4. How will I receive my certificate? Can I get CHES credits?
Upon completion of an online workshop, students who receive a score of 80% or higher on the post-test and have met all of the workshop requirements are eligible to receive a certificate of either professional development credits or Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credits. A completion certificate will be e-mailed in PDF version to each student who successfully completes a workshop.
5. How much time will an online workshop take to complete? Do I have to complete a workshop all at once?
Our online workshops are the equivalent of six hours, although some students may take slightly more or less time to complete them, depending on their pace. You decide what schedule works best for you, and while you can complete them all in one day, most students complete a workshop over the course of a few weeks. Each student has up to 30 days to complete an online workshop from the first day they log in.
6. Can my entire department take an online workshop on an in-service day instead of having a speaker come to our school?
Yes! Since our online workshops are the equivalent of six hours, they are the perfect alternative to an in-person or, in-service workshop. Students can enroll in groups if they are from the same school or agency and can complete an online workshop in the equivalent of one workday if they so choose. The best part is that professionals can take the online workshop from the comfort of their own homes or together at a computer lab at school or work.
7. How do I register?
You must register online. To register, go to: http://answer.rutgers.edu/page/online_professionals_development. Click on the link to the workshop you're interested in and follow the easy steps to register for a workshop. Once registered, you will receive an e-mail containing your log-in name and password, which will allow you to begin the workshop whenever is best for you. Once you are registered for the online workshop, you will have 30 days to complete it.
8. I’ve never taken an online workshop before. What should I expect?
You should expect an exciting and dynamic learning experience from the comfort of your own home or office. There are videos to watch, bulletin boards to post to, sample teen questions to respond to and much more. There is also technical support available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is an incredibly user-friendly workshop, so don’t be afraid to sign up and discover all that it can offer you.
9. What if I need more than 30 days to complete an online workshop?
Most students are able to complete the online workshop in 30 days or less. Occasionally personal circumstances arise that require an extension to be granted. These decisions are made on an individual basis between the student and instructor.
10. When is the next workshop going to be available?
Answer is planning to build a range of online workshops for professionals and is currently building its third online workshop. Eventually, we plan to offer a range of online workshops so students could earn a Certificate in Adolescent Sexuality from Rutgers University. Online Professional Development is an ongoing initiative for Answer, and we are continually seeking financial support to help us meet the demand for quality training across the country. Please contact Nora Gelperin (email@example.com or 732-445-7929) if you have any suggestions about funding sources for this exciting new initiative.
11. How much does an online workshop cost?
The registration cost for each online workshop is $150 per person. Groups of three or more people from the same school/agency will receive a $10 per person discount. Groups of five or more people from the same school/agency will receive a $15 per person discount. Therefore, we encourage professionals to register with their colleagues to maximize group discounts. Discount codes will be given to each group member for use during registration. E-mail Todd Slawsky at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a group interested in registering.